The Juggling Mother

Random rants from a mother of four juggling it all - husband, children, housework, friends. You name it I juggle it.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Vacation

In about three weeks, we will go on vacation. We have not taken a true vacation in five years. Either I was pregnant, the kids were too little, or we couldn't spend the money. There was always an excuse. So this year we are going to the beach.

While I am excited about going on vacation, I am also dreading it. I am excited about where we are staying...a luxury townhouse (gorgeous kitchen, master suite with great views, a balcony and a dream bathroom, an elevator). There will be lots to do for the kids...pirate adventure boat ride, water park, mini golf, beach, boardwalk, amusement park.

But I am dreading the work involved in getting there. I can not wrap my mind around how exactly I am going to pack for my four children. Plus myself and husband, the sheets (how many sets? we still have kids that have leaky diapers at night) and towels, toys, etc. How will it all fit in the car? With the food allergies and special dietary needs they have, I am not sure what food we should take and what I can buy there. Will I be able to find bread that is safe or should we just buy it here and take it? What about the desserts my kids like? When we get there, the first thing I will have to do, after unpacking the car, will be to take a trip to the grocery store for food for the week. There is no eating out for us because of the allergies (that is why I am excited about the gorgeous kitchen...we will be using it for every meal). I will have to remember the condiments and spices that I need to prepare whatever food we will be eating. I think that I will have to make my shopping list before we even go and think about what we will be eating for every meal so that I don't forget the little things (like mayo, ketchup, pickles, etc).

I know it will be worth it. The kids are so excited and they deserve this. But with three weeks to go, it is time to start planning and thinking about how I will accomplish it all. I have been getting advice from a dear friend with two kids that goes on vacation every year. She has it down to a science.

Her latest tip: when on vacation she (and her hubby because she is on vacation after all) does two loads of laundry a night. One beach towels and the other all the clothes they wore that day. She doesn't sort the clothes, she just washes it all together. That way she only has to take one towel per person. And they always have clean clothes in case there is some sort of accident. With both her and hubby working on the folding, it only takes a few minutes. At the end of the week, she packs all of the clean clothes back into the suitcase and then she doesn't have the mountain of laundry to do when she gets home. Pretty smart. With six of us, I am sure this tip will save me lots of headaches and time. And I won't have to pack 21 pairs of underwear for my daughter, who is recently potty trained and on some days only uses one pair but others uses three!

I recently met a couple with six kids (ages ranging from 9 to 1) and pregnant with number seven. She mentioned several different vacation destinations during our conversation. I don't know how she does it...but if I see her again before we go, I will be asking her for tips as well. Maybe in another five years I will have done it enough times myself to be able to offer my own tips.

Three weeks and counting....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home